Pages

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Tonight was my last meeting of my Berlin book club.  Sad.

This month, we each read a book of our choice by A.J. Jacobs, an author who likes to try different lifestyle experiments and write about his efforts.

Having just finished studying the Old Testament for seminary, I chose this book:

I highly recommend this book.  It is a day-by-day account of his year trying to obey every commandment he could find in the Bible.  Some of them are pretty wacky, like not wearing mixed-fiber clothes or touching anything touched by an "unclean" woman.  But, he makes some interesting statements about religion, and how changing his behavior led him to change some of his beliefs.

(He wasn't at all religious before, and if I said he was miraculously converted after his biblical year, I'd be lying--which is too bad, since I'm teaching a lesson in Relief Society on Sunday about reading the scriptures and wouldn't this make a tidy little example?)

But mostly, it is a very funny account of a man in 21st century New York City trying to live like Abraham, Moses, and Paul.  And, his wife is a SAINT for putting up with it all!

2 comments:

EmWJ said...

I haven't read this one, but along the same lines is Jana Riess's Flunking Sainthood. And she's Mormon to boot! It's an amazing book. She takes a relgious lifestyle and tries to live it each month with beautiful results even though she fails.

Jodi said...

As daunting as it is to teach a Relief Society lesson in English, I can't imagine what it would be like to have to have everything translated back and forth. Good luck.
Oh, and the book looks interesting too.