In 2003, back when Brad and I were cute and in love and felt
the need to celebrate our anniversary, I bought us tickets to see a Broadway
show playing in Detroit (side note: fifteen years later, we are less cute, more
in love, and less inclined to make a big deal about our anniversary when every
day together is just so good). But I
digress…
I got tickets to The
Producers, which is a show about two men who purposely put on the worst
musical they can find in order to scam their investors when it flops. So they
produce something called Springtime for
Hitler, only—to their chagrin—it is a huge hit and they can’t get it to
close. It’s a clever show, and Brad and I enjoyed it, but then we always enjoy
a good musical. One of the best trips we ever took was the three days in London
where we saw five West End shows. That’s my kind of vacation.
But I digress again…
Mel Brooks (who wrote The
Producers) thought Springtime for
Hitler was the worst title imaginable for a Broadway show, and I’ll admit
that’s pretty bad. But I may have one even worse.
Melanoma: The Musical.
In my family, we have something my siblings call “the chip.”
Some of us are hard-wired to be able to come up with a song for any occasion.
ANY occasion. It started with my mother, who used to light up our kitchen with
goodies like “Old Man River”, “Honky Tonk Woman,” and my personal favorite
“Short’Nin’ Bread” (I still can’t reach for a can of Crisco without singing,
“Mama’s little baby loves short’nin, short’nin…”). I have a couple of siblings
whose “chips” are amazingly well-honed, and let me tell you, it makes for some
rip-roaring conversations around my mother’s kitchen table. My “chip” is
amateur-level compared to theirs, but that doesn’t stop me from assigning songs
to random events. Somehow, I apparently believe life is a musical.
So, what song would I sing today?
This morning, I went in for my third SRS (Stereotactic
Radiosurgery) to attack the two newest melanoma lesions on my brain. For those
of you who are counting, this makes six lesions currently hanging onto my gray
matter, four of which have already been zapped and are shrinking nicely. But
the appearance of two new ones—especially after I underwent immunotherapy to
kill the cancer cells floating around looking for a place to land—is discouraging
news. We thought we were playing offense, but this means we’re still playing
defense. And the other team is scoring.
So, back to my question. In Melanoma: the Musical, what should I sing today?
My first inclination is Toby Keith’s “I Wanna Talk About Me,” because I feel like all I ever talk/blog about anymore is this cancer, and,
well, blah, blah, blah. I’ve never been one to blab on and on about myself—at
least I don’t think I am—and I’m starting to feel like the girl you avoid at
parties because all she can talk about is herself.
So my next thought is “I Don’t Wanna Talk About It” by Rod Stewart, because I don’t want to be that girl. I also wish it wasn’t happening,
and I haven’t been talking about it, at least not out loud. I’m still holding
onto the last vestiges of my maybe-I-don’t-have-cancer-anymore bubble, so I
smile when people ask how I’m doing and tell them I’m fine. I don’t want to say
I’m having another radiation surgery today to kill the lesions that keep
coming. Putting those words into the air will threaten the bubble already
trembling to burst.
But then I remember I promised myself I’d be honest, and
hiding behind a smile isn’t honest. So I think of “Beneath Your Beautiful” by Labrinth because you, my friends, are sincere in your concern and deserve the
truth. The best kind of friendship allows the ugly to show, too.
So I’m writing the ugly because it’s easier for me than
speaking it aloud. In my darker moments, when I’m angry at this cancer for
popping up in my brain again, I want to sing “Can’t Get You Out Of My Head” by Kylie Minogue. The slightly humorous bend makes me feel better for a minute.
And in my optimistic moments, when I feel like a fighter and tell myself these
are the LAST lesions we’ll have to zap, I sing “Another One Bites the Dust” by Queen. That makes me feel better for
longer, because Freddie Mercury. Freddie Mercury’s mustachioed passion always
makes me feel better.
Of course, since this is radiation surgery and it happens in
a highly protected, high tech room with radiation beams aimed at my head,
“Radioactive” by Imagine Dragons is a natural choice for today. I did feel a
little glowy when I was done, although not for any real, science-supported
reason. It’s just hard to lie there for 30-40 minutes without imagining my
skin glowing red and my brain exploding in the nuclear cross hairs.
But now that it’s all done, I think the winning song for
today is “Pretty Face” by Sóley. Not because I think my face is pretty—I’m far too
old for pretty any more—but because of the disconnect the singer feels to her
face. And the overall sense of being trapped.
I have to wear this mask when they do the SRS so they can
screw my head to the platform and it won’t move during the treatment. It was
custom made for me back in October, the plastic mesh molded to my face while
hot and pushed into every nook and cranny around my nose, eyes, mouth, and
cheeks so it has a very snug fit. I have used it for every radiation surgery since then. It very literally traps me down.
It also looks just like me, which is really weird. I’ve
never seen my face in 3D before, yet whenever I pull out my mask for another
surgery, there I am, eyes closed and unsmiling like a death mask. It’s kind of
a reminder I have lost control of my body, and that body is creating death cells
I never gave it permission to create. I recognize that face, yet I don’t. It’s the
person everyone else sees, yet not the one I know. It’s me, and it’s not. But
it’s hauntingly familiar.
So yeah, the plastic face creeps me out.
But I also like "Pretty Face" for today because of the singer’s
need to escape. She wants to run, to leave a bad situation and chase her
dreams, but it feels hard and insurmountable. She lists all the things her
heart wants, but there’s an underlying sense of doubt, and it's almost as if she's saying good-bye to everything she once wanted. I feel
that, too. I want to want things, but I’m not sure I dare. There’s a piece of
me that says, “Do everything, accomplish those goals, finish that book—you
don’t know what your deadline is going to be!” But there’s another part of me
that hurts to dream. Because I don’t know what my deadline is going to be.
It’s a messy song, with messy feelings. Maybe that’s why I
like it. I had a third go at SRS today because I hope this will make my lesions
go away, but I’m also discouraged because this is my third go at SRS and the lesions keep coming. After each
treatment, the tech asks me if I want to keep the mask or have them throw it
away—I guess it’s assumed I won’t have to do it again. Hope. But I opt to keep the mask. So far, there has always been a next time.
Of course, every good storyteller knows the situation has to keep
getting worse and worse before it can get better. A happy ending means nothing
if the story has been happy throughout. So maybe today's radiation
treatment is simply the beginning of the third act of Melanoma: the Musical. Maybe this is the climax, the final sword
fight, the scene in which all seems lost. Maybe in three months, when I have my
next brain scan, it will come up empty and there will be no more lesions to
battle. Maybe the heroine will finally conquer all.
Amazing! Laughter through tears! Tony Award worthy! If I
were writing Melanoma: the Musical,
that’s how I'd end it. “Pretty Face” would be the ballad that wrapped everyone in
the helpless uncertainty surrounding cancer, reinforcing how the
hoped-for conclusion cannot be guaranteed. The audience would cry a little, wondering
what else can be done and coming up empty. Then I’d bring God into the mix for act three and
remind everyone He is in charge. One little miracle, and poof! Happily ever after.
Yeah…that’s how I’d write it. And it would be awesome. My
new favorite musical.
But unfortunately, I’m not the author.
I guess I just have to trust the One who is.

1 comment:
A wonderful, insightful, and so-you post Jill. Thank you for taking the time to take us into a little bit of your life. Those tumors haven't dampened your delighfulness!
Post a Comment