Pages

Friday, October 2, 2009

Pepper's birthday

Pepper turned 11, so we had a little family celebration with him.  He requested Doners for dinner, which is a German food he has fallen in love with.  I guess technically, Doners are Turkish, but we've only had them in Germany, so they seem German to me.  It is a lamb, cabbage, and onion sandwich on a soft pita, and they are truly delightful.  They are sold at little stands on the streets here, and have become a Bitner Family Favorite.


After our Doner dinner, we had cake and opened presents.  I am still learning the ins-and-outs of groceries here, and I wasn't sure about a cake mix.  So, I looked through an old neighborhood cookbook and found a "from scratch" recipe for Pepsi Cake.  Since we sometimes call Pepper "Pepsy", it seemed like the perfect cake for his birthday.  Yes, it does actually have Pepsi in the cake and also in the frosting.  No, it is not good.  It is mushy and weird.  We will not be making this again, nor will I recommend the recipe.  But, it provided a place for birthday candles, and the requisite wish-making. 

 This is Pepper comforting Luke after he found out there would be no cake.

I am so glad we have Pepper in our family.  I watch him attack life with all his challenges, and I respect his courage and persistance so much.  I don't know that I would be brave enough to get up and try all the things he does.  For whatever reason, everything seems to be harder for Pepper, yet he never shies away from anything.  He just gets up day after day and heads off to school with a smile on his face, even though he struggles so much to understand what happens there.  And he warmly befriends anyone close to his size, even though many kids his age quickly lose patience with Pepper's speaking ability and dismiss him.  He diligently practices shooting baskets because he wants to be a professional basketball player, and then goes to play in the games and gets lost in the rules and movement of the game.  But he finishes with a grin, and enthusiastically looks forward to the next game. 

You've got to love a kid like that.

I sure do.

4 comments:

Mama Amy said...

What a delightful little boy you have. I admire him, too.

Anonymous said...

He is an amazing Boy! He will grow up and be a good man. You can already see good qualities! Keep Loving him and Believe in him! He will amaze you! I love his tender heart!

ColleenandKendra said...

What a great kid! He is wiser than his years because he knows what is most important. That positive attitude will serve him well!! Happy Birthday Pepper!!!

Jodi said...

Ah, I miss Pep. Erik talks about him almost as much as his Lukie.