Pages

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Sunday, after church, we had a quick dinner and then I had to leave to take Mom to the airport.  Jess and Pep came with me, and because we had to rush, we left all the dishes on the table and the kitchen a mess.

We got Mom to the airport without incident, but coming home, the ramp to the freeway we needed to take was closed due to construction, so we had to take the scenic route.  The very scenic route, it turned out.  The take-an-extra-hour-to-get-home scenic route.

So, you can just imagine my grumpiness when I finally got home and found the dishes still on the table and the kitchen still a mess and my husband in the bedroom taking his Sunday Afternoon Nap.  Add in the fact that we had to leave in a half hour in order to make the Youth Conference fireside and you'll get the whole picture.  If I'd been a cartoon character, there would have been steam coming out of my ears.

So, in my Passive/Aggressive finest, I commenced cleaning up the kitchen, muttering and slamming like the martyr that I was.  Adam, who'd set the table earlier so he technically had fulfilled his dish duties, stepped up and offered to help me.  At that moment, he was my Most Favorite Child, and he received all the praise and appreciation I could dole out while begrudgingly loading the dishwasher.

Well, tonight was Adam's regular dish night and he tried to pull the Since-I-Helped-On-Sunday-When-I-Didn't-Have-To-Do-I-Still-Have-To-Do-Dishes-Tonight? card.  
Not to be out-done, I played the I'm-So-Sad-You-Helped-Before-Just-So-You-Could-Get-Out-Of-Work-Now card.

I totally won this one.

2 comments:

Jodi said...

That Adam is a fine boy. But I can't help but notice the sour cream container on the counter with a spoon in it. Didn't you put the sour cream in a separate glass bowl for dinner?

Jeneil said...

Jodi makes some very valid points about both Adam and the glass bowl. I was just wondering at what point you went in to squeeze Brad's toe.

Bet that was an icy ride over to the fireside.