Pages

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Thursday, May 5, 2011

We call this meal "Stone Soup" because that is Lukie's favorite bedtime story, and we are trying to convince him to like this veggie soup.  It hasn't worked.

However, it is my favorite dinner for three reasons:  1) It is very easy to make, 2) I make it in my crockpot, so it is perfect for evenings when I have limited time to make dinner, and 3) It tastes really good.  So, whether or not Luke can be convinced, we have this every couple of weeks or so.  And, it is especially good with a crusty roll from the bakery.

Here is the recipe if you are interested:

1 lb. ground beef, browned with 1 chopped medium onion
1 liter of vegetable juice (V8) (about 4 cups)
2 cups chicken or beef broth
4 carrots, chopped
4 potatoes, diced (I don't peel)
1 14 oz can corn
1 14.5 oz can green beans
1 zucchini, sliced (again, don't peel)
garlic powder to taste
salt and pepper to taste
pinch of ginger

Toss it all in the crockpot and simmer for 7-8 hours on low or 5-6 hours on high.  It is even better the next day, so keep the left-overs!

1 comment:

Denise Robertson said...

Now I know what we're having for dinner on Sunday!