Bathrooms were not cleaned, floors were not mopped, and sometimes meals were not cooked because of these books. I make no apologies.
I finished this series by Dean Hughes today. It is the second series by this author that I have read. My friend Denise recommended Hughes' Children of the Promise series, which I read over Christmas. Then, she was kind enough to lend me her copies of this series, Hearts of the Children, which is the sequel series. I tore through them - I read all 2,244 pages in the last 10 days. The first series was about a fictional family, the Thomas's, and how World War II affected a Mormon family in SLC. This second series picked up with the next generation and how life in the 1960's and 1970's affected the family. It was heavy on the history, which I love, and I really liked seeing history through the eyes of "my people".
If you love history and want to read well-researched books that examine life both in Utah and Germany during the 20th century, I highly recommend both series. I will say that some of the dialogue reads like an episode of Leave It to Beaver - or at best, a Very Special Episode of Diff'rent Strokes - but obviously I liked them well enough to pretty much put my life on hold.
And now that I've finished, I may go into withdrawal.
Must. Find. New. Book. . .
I finished this series by Dean Hughes today. It is the second series by this author that I have read. My friend Denise recommended Hughes' Children of the Promise series, which I read over Christmas. Then, she was kind enough to lend me her copies of this series, Hearts of the Children, which is the sequel series. I tore through them - I read all 2,244 pages in the last 10 days. The first series was about a fictional family, the Thomas's, and how World War II affected a Mormon family in SLC. This second series picked up with the next generation and how life in the 1960's and 1970's affected the family. It was heavy on the history, which I love, and I really liked seeing history through the eyes of "my people".
If you love history and want to read well-researched books that examine life both in Utah and Germany during the 20th century, I highly recommend both series. I will say that some of the dialogue reads like an episode of Leave It to Beaver - or at best, a Very Special Episode of Diff'rent Strokes - but obviously I liked them well enough to pretty much put my life on hold.
And now that I've finished, I may go into withdrawal.
Must. Find. New. Book. . .

No comments:
Post a Comment