Today, everything we had planned got cancelled because of the ice storm, so this is literally what we did all day. It was beyond awesome.
The only source of stress all day long was wondering if Brad was going to make it home. He's been in Brazil all week for work, and I was just sure that his flight would be cancelled.
But no, his was one of the few flights that landed in Dallas tonight.
Of course, after he landed, he had to get into an completely iced-over car.
The driver's door was sealed shut, so he got in the passenger side and contorted himself over into the
driver's side (no easy feat
for a full-grown man in a little sports car--kinda wish I'd been there
to watch).
After about an hour in the car with the heater cranked, an
airport employee came by with an ice-scraper and they were able to get
the windows cleared enough to drive. When he pulled out of the parking
spot, his bumper was frozen to the curb, so he ripped a piece of it
off. So much for his pristine new convertible.
From there, it took him about three more hours to drive home (it
usually takes 40ish minutes) because highways were blocked by semis
skidding to completely block the roads. Plus, he had to drive 10-20 MPH. He called me on the drive and was just laughing at how awful it was. All the major freeways were lined bumper to bumper with semi-trucks who had pulled over to wait it out, and there were cars everywhere that had slid off the road. There was simply nothing to do but just leave them for a tow truck to handle when the ice thaws.
Needless to say, I was very relieved to see his face when he showed up around 12:30. But, his welcome home was marred by the fact that he couldn't pull into the garage. My car was parked in the center, and we couldn't pull it out to make room for his because of this big ledge of ice.
It looks like snow, but it's not. It's solid as a rock, and the top of the Durango would scrape the garage door if we tried to drive up and over it. Even if we had been able to move my car, I doubt his little car could have gotten past The Ledge. So, he left it in the driveway and called it good.
But he is home. Now everyone is snug in our house and we can just wait for the ice to melt.
I could not be happier.
3 comments:
Texas ice storms are not to be trifled with. Hoo boy!
Where in Brazil was he??
Wow! What an odyssey! Glad he made it home in one piece (even though his car wasn't…)
I get nervous just thinking about driving in that muck. I think I've forgotten what it's like to drive in bad weather after 3 short years in Texas.
Post a Comment