Pages

Thursday, October 3, 2013

This morning started off with a visit to Rosslyn Chapel.
 There was no photography allowed inside the chapel--we know this because a really nasty lady made it very clear.  She was the only mean person we encountered, and I'm pretty sure she was English.  Stupid Sassanach.

After Rosslyn Chapel, we drove to Stirling and found this gold-mine of a restaurant.

Susanne tried the Black Pudding, which is made from actual blood, and according to Susanne, tastes like a veggie burger.  Go figure.

We spent most of the afternoon at Stirling Castle.
 Outside the Great Hall

Inside the Great Hall

Feeling royal.

 When I first saw these ceiling tiles, I thought some modern cartoonist with a sense of humor had made them and somehow convinced the castle people to hang them up.  But, it turns out this is really how the ceiling looked.  A bit ridiculous, but awesome at the same time.  Awesomely ridiculous or ridiculously awesome?

 The queen's bed chamber, although she didn't really sleep here. This was just for show and receiving people--she slept in a small room off to the side.  I don't know why this was still a bedroom--wouldn't it make more sense to make this a sitting room or something?

 Of course, Susanne the Chef had to check out the kitchens carefully.

 Don't mind if I do. . .


After Stirling Castle, we headed across town to the William Wallace Memorial, which we could see from the castle.

 And...now I'm in the mood to watch Braveheart.

Yeah, it was raining pretty good by now...

 ...which made walking down the dirt path a bit treacherous in parts.

After dinner in a pub--in which we were offered fine Scotch whiskey that Becky declared fit to remove her toe-nail polish after taking one sniff--we spent the night in this cute bed and breakfast in Stirling.

Delightful!

No comments: