After one night at home, in which my husband, dog, and one son seemed genuinely happy to see me (the others--meh), I hopped on another plane to attend the funeral of my Uncle Jim this morning in Utah.
Uncle Jim has had cancer for some time, and the week before I left for Scotland, I learned that his doctors were ceasing all treatment and letting him spend his final weeks at home. So, when I got Brad's text on Saturday telling me that Jim had passed away, it wasn't a surprise. I'm just very glad that I was able to attend his funeral and spend a little time with his family.
The service was so nice--each of his children spoke and shared stories of their dad--some good, some funny, all perfect. I kept thinking that if Jim was there listening, he'd be laughing that quiet, kinda sputtery laugh of his. It was a lovely tribute.
Aunt Linda, Aunt Julie, and my dad
All of my family that could be there
It's impossible for things to get too heavy when there are little kids around. And, there were lots of them.
After the graveside service, we all met at the Garland farmhouse for pies supplied by my cousin Marisa's ward in Bountiful. It was the perfect way to wrap things up--everyone gathered at the family farm where Jim and his siblings grew up, with nothing to do but chit chat, eat pie, and remember Jim. I couldn't help but think that a similar gathering was happening on the other side of the veil, only instead of pies, they'd be eating Grandma's twisties. We all know there are twisties in heaven.
3 comments:
Thank heaven for little kids, indeed. And twisties. How nice that Marisa's ward provided pie. Being at the farmhouse seems like a fitting end to the day.
It was so nice to have you and so many cousins there for the viewing and funeral. Thanks to Brad for holding down the fort a few days longer while you were with us in Utah. It wasn't my favorite occasion to see all our extended family but at least that was a bright spot!
Love it. Thank you Jill
Post a Comment