This weekend, I took a whirlwind trip to Utah so I could attend the graveside service of my little nephew Max.
Last week, Brad's sister Katie had her baby boy by emergency c-section. For the last couple of months, we've all been in high prayer mode because her little guy wasn't growing like he should inside her belly, and on June 4, the doctors determined that he had a higher chance of survival outside in the world. So, he was born, and he was so, so, so tiny. Even at 31 weeks, he was much too small, and his little heart stopped beating just a few hours after he was born while Katie held him and loved him.
It was a really lovely service, and I am so glad I was able to be there. Every word spoken was just right and the music was simple and reverent. It was the perfect tribute to this little person whose spirit did not need to prove itself long before returning to his Father in Heaven.
I think my favorite part of the service was when Katie's husband Cameron arrived carrying the little casket. It was so small and light, and the thing that struck me was that Cameron held it so tenderly in his arms. He even had one end tipped up slightly, like everyone does when carrying a newborn to be careful of the little head. It didn't look like he was carrying a box, but rather he was a father carrying his baby, a son that he loved and revered. I will never forget that image.
I was only in Utah for less than 24 hours, but I wouldn't have missed it for the world. I am grateful that I was able to share in the spirit that was there and pay tribute to this sweet family member with the rest of the Bitners.
Katie and Cameron, I love you. And your little Max, too.



2 comments:
Oh, man, I'm glad I read this before putting on my makeup this morning. I can't think of anything more heartbreaking as a parent. Thank goodness we have the knowledge that Max will be theirs to raise in the eternities.
Glad you were able to make it. While hard and sad, funerals are such spiritual experiences. I'm so sorry for Katie and Cameron.
Post a Comment