Today was a sad day because it was our last in America before heading back to Germany for the year. I hate saying good-bye to family, sunshine, English, porch-sitting, Walmart, Diet Dr. Pepper Cherry, wide roads, Cafe Rio, boating...etc, etc, etc.
But this good-bye was the saddest one of all:
When Pepper had to say good-bye to his best cousin Isaac, I lost it. Those of you who know Pepper know that he has lots of challenges that make life just a little harder for him than the average 12-year old boy. This makes it hard for him to make friends, which is heart-breaking for me to watch. He has such an open spirit, so sometimes kids his age will manipulate him or take advantage of his desire to get close to them.
Not so with Isaac. Isaac genuinely loves Pepper and is thrilled to spend every minute he can with him. Isaac and his dad Casey invited Pepper to be the "manager" of Isaac's baseball team this summer, and have also let Pepper tag along with them to Isaac's other sports activities. I have loved watching Pepper thrive in Isaac's presence - there is something about being around someone who thinks you are So Cool that brings out the best in everyone, and Pepper is no exception. I think Pepper was 10 feet tall whenever Isaac was around, and it made my heart swell.
There is nobody else like Isaac in Pepper's life, and I am so sad to separate them. Because of how he treats my boy, Isaac will always have a firm place on my list of Favorite People.

3 comments:
This made my heart happy. We all need an Isaac in our lives.
This one brought tears. I'm putting Isaac on MY list of Favorite People, and I don't even know him. I wish I did.
We, too, had a very tearful goodbye from our family this year. Sucks, doesn't it?
Bless Isaac's heart! I almost lost it just reading what you wrote.
Post a Comment