Pages

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Last Friday, I got a continuous glucose monitor to go with my insulin pump.  The idea is that I wear the CGM and it communicates with my pump so I will always know what my blood sugar is, rather than just checking it 4 times a day with the old method.  Medtronic made it sound like such a good idea, and I suppose it is from a medical standpoint.

 I love how the boxes picture a smooth, relaxed guy, and a contentedly reclining woman enjoying the ease and comfort of their diabetic supplies. 
They. Are. Liars.

I'm finding the reality to be less than perfect.  One of the features of the pump is that it alarms when my blood sugar levels are too high or too low.  Because I've just turned the clock upside down by traveling eight time zones, my body is readjusting to night and day sugar levels.  This means that I'm not stable through the night, so my pump is alarming every couple of hours.  NOT what I need right now as I'm trying to force myself to sleep during the German night.

Plus, the CGM is another button I have to attach to my body all the time.  I feel like the Bionic Woman, and not in a good way.  For the record, it is NOT comfortable to recline on your side when you have a sensor inserted under the skin on your hip and a big plastic button taped on top of it.

 I'm sure someday soon I will get used to this and it won't bug me anymore.  
But today is NOT THAT DAY.

2 comments:

MarieC said...

That does NOT sound fun. If it works as advertised (once your body readjusts to Berlin time), that will hopefully be worth it.

Wharton Family said...

Thanks for the info. We had heard about these and I had considered getting one for Emily but they sound like a pain. Keep us posted if it gets any better.