Pages

Saturday, December 20, 2008

How do you say "I'm Freaking Out" in German?

Yes, I am freaking out. We found out on Thursday that Brad's company has approved a promotion for him that will take our family to Berlin, Germany for the next 2-3 years. I KNOW!

We have known for a few weeks that he was being considered for the position, and that he was a top contender, but along the way we kept being told it probably wouldn't happen because it is so expensive for the company to have us in Germany. They will pay for our housing, car, and school for the kids, as well as various travel expenses for our family. It is not cheap for the company to have an American in this position, but apparently they have decided that Brad is worth it. Of course I am so proud of him, and he certainly deserves it, but I was relying on the lousy economy to keep me here in the States!

They are saying they want Brad to start in February or March 2009, so this will happen quickly. The plan for now is for me to stay here in our house until the kids finish school in June. Then, we will make our yearly trek to spend the summer with family in Utah. From there, we will head to Berlin. Of course, these plans may change as we get more information, but for now that is what we are thinking.

I don't know what we will do about our house here. The company is encouraging us to hold on to it, as we will be coming back after a couple of years, but we may try to sell it. We have been wanting to put it on the market anyway because we are starting to out-grow it, and this may be a good opportunity to let it go. Then when we return, we could get into a bigger house. Although, it is a no-brainer that whatever we would buy, it would have to be in the Clarkston Ward!

I can't even think about saying good-bye to our friends here. As soon as I start to go there, I can feel the bottom going out of my world, so I have to quickly start thinking of something happy. I plan on using this denial method for a while.

I need lots of chocolate.

8 comments:

haley said...

We are so excited for you guys! Okay, and us because we will still see you once a year and we will for sure come out to visit you in Germany. When else will we have family in a foreign country? How is Jess handling all this? We can't wait to hear all the details. Eat some chocolate and enjoy the holidays! We love you guys!

EmWJ said...

Congrats and doesn't Brad know German? If so, have him check this for me:

Ich flippe heraus aus!

We might have to see if we can come too, what an adventure!

Walker6Fam said...

Jill,
David told me about this and I too thought the economy would keep you here. Words can't express how much I will miss you and your family! This is a fabulous opportunity and you are perfect for it.

angie said...

WHAT!! Holy Cow! I think the term you are looking for is: "ScheiBe!" Ask Brad-he was my German tutor for awhile! Wow-that will be some kind of experience for you and your kiddies! Pretty cool. I don't want you to have to be alone for months though, that will not be fun. You just never know what life is going to hand you next!

Wharton Family said...

Jill, I wish I hadn't opened your blog tonight. I am crying! This is awesome for your family but what will we do without you and the kids? We are definitely having a huge blowout birthday party for us before you leave. We love you guys.
p.s. do we have a say in who moves into your house?

Michelle said...

Who knew we were blogging cousins?! I'm glad to know how I can keep up with the Bitners. I hadn't heard about the Berlin move, so the blog is already paying off! Hope you, Brad and the kids had a great Christmas! Michelle

Mindi B said...

That's crazy!! But awesome, all at the same time!! Congrats to Brad - what an honor. It will be such a great experience for your whole family. My Aunt and Uncle lived in Spain for 3 years with all of their kids and it was a wonderful experience for them - all of their kids are bilingual now and have such an appreciation for different cultures - I sure wish you guys the best!!!

K Sommer said...

We will definitely miss you! Krissy about cried when I told her. Also, Thank you for her seminary picture. It is a gem!