Pages

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

What a perfect day!

After our Most Bonny Scotland Trip in October, Denise emailed to say she'd gotten tickets to a Diana Gabaldon event at the National Press Club in Washington D.C.  Did I want to come?  Um...yes!  So, here I am in our nation's fine capital with one of my favorite people in the world.

Yaaaaaayyyy!!!

We started off this morning with a tour of George Washington's Mount Vernon.

Just look at my beautiful friend!  Love her!

From there, we headed into the city to see all the stuff you're supposed to see when you go to Washington D.C.

I loved this quote in the Holocaust Museum.  What a place that is.  And so strange to experience having lived in Berlin and fallen in love with so many German people.  My heart breaks for everyone concerned.

We swung through the Smithsonian American History Museum, seeing the highlights (um, the First Lady dresses, obviously), then walked over to the World War II Memorial, which I'd never seen before.

It was HOT and HUMID, so this was the best way to enjoy this monument.
 
After a fabulous dinner, we went to the National Press Club to see Diana Gabaldon.
There she is!  The great mind that gave the world James Alexander Malcom McKenzie Fraser.  We all owe her a great debt.  It was awesome to hear her tell how she started writing, what inspires her, and how she puts her stories together.  She spoke for about an hour, and I could have listened to her for much longer.  Such a fascinating, smart woman!

They gave all of us posters for the upcoming Outlander TV series.  There are NO WORDS for how excited I am for this!

No comments: