Yesterday was a HUGE day for us. I already wrote about the baseball, but an even HUGER thing happened in the evening after we got home. Such a HUGE deal that I am giving it it's own blog post rather than adding it to the baseball post from yesterday.
Let me back up a bit. I've mentioned before that we have the lovely Beatrice living with us this year. Last summer, her father passed away unexpectedly and Beatrice needed a place to live here in Berlin so she could finish her last year of school. I knew her well from institute, so we were happy to let her use our extra room in the basement.
As she's been finishing school, Beatrice has also been preparing to serve a full-time mission for our church. About three weeks ago, she sent in her papers, expecting to get her mission call in about a month or six weeks.
Well, on Wednesday this week, I found a big, white envelope with the First Presidency's return address in my mailbox. We weren't expecting it so soon, so it took a few moments for me to register what I was holding in my hand. Once it sunk in, I gasped, squealed, and ran into the house to find Beatrice. She saw it, gasped, SCREAMED, and then we screamed some more together. During a break in the screaming, we stared at each other with wide eyes, and wondered, "What do we do now?!?"
Beatrice really wanted to have a party to celebrate her mission call, and she didn't want to open it until she had her close friends all there to be a part of it. The killer was that because of other things already planned, she couldn't have her mission call party until Saturday night. So, she gave me the big white envelope to hide until she could open it last night (I should point out that I was the model of self-restraint in that I knew where it was the whole time, and never peeked. I'm very proud of myself).
So, last night we arrived home from Adam's baseball game to find our house bursting with people gathered to watch Beatrice open her call. Everyone brought food, and Beatrice had a map posted where people could make their guess as to where she'd be called.
Lots of people guessed places in America and Germany. But nobody guessed the right place.
Beatrice finally opened the envelope and read her call aloud...
...and she's going to the Greece, Athens mission!!!!!!
Is that the most coolest, most romantickest mission or what?!?
Needless to say, when she read her call out loud, the whole room cheered and applauded. It was a great moment! Beatrice's mother happened to be visiting from England, so she was standing next to me and we both cried like babies. I love cheering and crying at the same time!
Here is the video I took of Beatrice opening her call. If you watch it, be ready to smile like an idiot and maybe shed a tear or two. It's awesome!


3 comments:
That's so awesome for Beatrice! No one EVER guesses the right place, I've decided.
Bailey watched this with me and also cheered for Beatrice. What a cool night!
So much fun! Yay for Greece. I totally want to visit. I'm such a rule breaker.
Post a Comment