Pages

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Yes, this is my bathroom scale.  And let me tell you, I really wish I had had it this morning at my visiting teaching appointment.

My partner Antje and I went to visit Sis. S for the first time.  Sis. S is a single lady in her 50's that speaks a little English, but not much, so our visit was happening in German.  I can usually follow most of what is said as long as I concentrate really hard, so I was sitting there using every one of my brain cells to understand the get-to-know-you chit-chat of a typical first visit.

Suddenly, out of the blue, Sis. S stops talking, looks me full in the face and asks, in English, "Jill, what do you weigh?"  I sat there and sputtered for a bit, both in shock at being abruptly addressed in English and at the audacity of the question.  Still in shock, I responded with my approximate weight in pounds. 

 "No," she said, "in kilos!"

Well, I don't know my weight in kilos, and I'm not smart enough to do the conversion when my brain is already tired from trying to understand German.  So, I told her I don't know.  This did not satisfy Sis. S, and she briskly motioned for me to stand up from my chair.  Thinking she wanted to look at me and make a ball park guess, I hesitantly stood up and faced her.

The next thing I know, Sis. S has swooped in and wrapped her arms around me.  Then, she PICKED ME UP, set me down, and positively announced my weight in kilos.  I couldn't do anything but stand there and blink, while my partner Antje sat there and laughed and laughed.

I think this qualifies as the weirdest visiting teaching visit I've ever made.

5 comments:

Susanne said...

Holy crap!

MarieC said...

FUNNY!!! (Was her guess correct?)

Jodi said...

You could invite her to perform at parties. What in the world were they talking about right before this happened?

Anonymous said...

I am laughing so much. This is so funny. That is one visit you will never forget!

Denise said...

I'd like to see her pick me up...