Pages

Friday, April 13, 2012

Tonight, I dug up some video tapes (yes, video tapes - I'm that old) from my dancing days at BYU.  I had a good ole time waltzing down memory lane as I watched our tour show in Bangkok, Thailand from May 1993.  Since it is on video tape, I can't share it with you here, but I do have a few of my dance videos on DVD, thanks to Brad who had some transferred to DVDs a few years ago for my birthday.

Here is a highlight from my dance video library.  In the winter of 1994, I girded up my loins and decided to do a Theater Arts number for the International Ball competition in April.  I had always ooohhed and aaaahhed at the cabarets in previous competitions, but I was kind of intimidated to do one myself.  Luckily, when I finally decided to try it, I was able to hook up with Brent, who turned out to be a fantastic partner in every way.  He had this fabulous music in mind for our cabaret and Linda Wakefield choreographed it for us.  After many, many hours of practice (including learning the lifts in a swimming pool - thank you Dirty Dancing), Brent and I were thrilled to take first place at the competition.  



Of course, it's not perfect.  After years of watching So You Think You Can Dance and smugly considering myself a judge of good dancing, I can see every little mistake and cringe-worthy moment.  But, this routine marks one of my best dancing experiences because I did something I wasn't sure I could do, I loved every minute of it, and we won.  It's always funnest to win.

(And now, it's fun to look back on a time when I could wear a dress like that and not have to suck in my tummy the whole time.  Sigh.)

The youtube address is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYoxI44w7k8.

4 comments:

ColleenandKendra said...

That was so much fun to watch! Girl, you were amazing. Well, you still ARE amazing....

MarieC said...

That was AWESOME!!!!!

Denise said...

This was just mean! I can't believe I can't watch it.

Jodi said...

I loved that night! I remember watching you guys dance and knowing you were going to win. And the cabaret was the BIG event of those competitions. As a side note, I also got asked to prom that night.