Pages

Thursday, July 9, 2009

The Pepper and Shelbi Show

Last week, just as I was settling down to watch my favorite summer program ("So You Think You Can Dance"), Pepper and Shelbi came down and announced that it was time for their show to start. Now, all you parents out there know what dread filled my heart - there is nothing quite so tedious as a show put on by kids. There is seldom any thought as to the actual entertainment value. The kids rarely think past the excitement of having an audience, so once everyone is seated, they just sort of "wing it", and we as supportive adults applaud and try not to look at our watches too obviously.

Well, I must say that the Pepper and Shelbi Show was actually a pleasant surprise. The neighborhood kids were enlisted to help with costumes (a bow tie) and music (an I-Pod with a speaker). The dancing was rehearsed, although not really choreographed. Still, I got a kick out of Pepper and Shelbi's moves.


Pepper had obviously seen enough ballroom dancing to pick up on the importance of facial expressions.


Shelbi's grace was apparent in her many under-arm turns.


There were even a few tricks!


This move was a favorite. I believe we saw about 10 minutes of this during the 12 minute show.

And of course, every number ends with a grand bow!

After the show, Sydney and Luke wanted their own piece of the applause. What they lacked in costumes and moves, they more than made up for in just plain cuteness!

You know, in my ballroom dancing years, I always promised myself that someday I would have a daughter to follow in my footsteps. Since my only daughter appears to prefer being on horseback to being on the dance floor, maybe I should revise my dream...a ballroom dancing son?

No comments: