Pages

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Same finger, same hand, different boy

About a month ago, just before we packed up to come to UT, Pepper came home from school with a broken finger. He broke it when he tried to catch a ball in a game of kick ball. So, after a trip to the ER for some x-rays, he came home in a splint that he wore for 3 weeks.

Well, yesterday, Adam was swinging in Grandmas' backyard, and he broke his finger, too (at least we think it's broken). He was swinging on his tummy, and he twisted the swing up so he could spin around. While he was spinning around - very fast and out-of-control - he whacked his finger on the wooden swing-set pole. It didn't take long for the tip to turn a dark shade of purple, so I had my brother-in-law take a look at it. Luckily, my sister's husband Jeff is staying here with us and he is a fourth-year Emergency Medicine resident (very handy!). He looked at it and told us that if it is broken, which is a strong possibility, all they could do at the ER was splint it and wait for it to heal.



Well, after our recent broken finger experience with Pepper, I knew just what to do. I got out the bandaging and made a little splint out of a small popsicle stick. I thought it was nice of the boys to have the same injury - they even broke the same finger. Both of them injured the ring finger of their right hand. Poor Adam doesn't get all the glory of an emergency room visit, but he does get the fun and sympathy of a bandaged hand. I'm sure he'll make the most of it!

No comments: