The first morning we were there, Jess and Emma rented this tandem bike for an hour. I consider this a triumph, because all my life I saw those tandem bikes for rent, and I fantasized about riding one. There is just something so whimsical about picturing myself whizzing around with a friend, wind in my hair and sun on my skin. I've never ridden one, and after talking to Jess about it, I can let the fantasy go. Apparently, tandem bikes are highly overrated. It is probably because Emma was too short to reach the pedals, but Jess was exhausted after pedaling an extra person around for an hour.
Sunday night, we saw Brad's sister Kate outside dinking around on Ellie's bicycle. Apparently, Kate, who is in her twenties, had never learned how to ride a two-wheeler. But, the magic of Bear Lake combined with a ready and willing teacher (Dave) gave her the courage to tackle it. Go Kate!
After seeing Kate conquer the two-wheeler, a few of us were sitting in the condo talking about the whole learning-to-ride-a-bike process. I was talking about how Luke is five-years-old, and he still can't ride a two-wheeler. In the middle of my sentence, I looked up and saw him coast by on Sophie's bike. I stopped, mid-sentence, and ran outside to make sure my eyes weren't deceiving me.
Sure enough, Luke was riding a bike! Dave was surprised to see me come out making a fuss; apparently, Luke had asked Dave to help him ride Sophie's bike, and Dave just sat him on the bike and let him go, without realizing that Luke had never done it before. Luke took off! After my fuss, Dave followed Luke around coaching him on the finer points of riding a bicycle. This lasted for a glorious 20 minutes, after which Luke had his first bicycle crash. He wasn't quite so gung-ho after that.




No comments:
Post a Comment