Pages

Monday, April 4, 2011

Sunday, April 3, 2011

In MI, we had great friends who hosted a big gathering every general conference Sunday.  Many families would come to their home for a ginormous potluck brunch while we watched the Sunday morning session.  It was something we truly missed when we moved here.

So, this year we've done the same thing here.  Today was the second time we've had friends over to watch conference and pig out.  Even though we meet at 2:00 p.m., we still make it a brunch because that just seems like the right food to eat while watching conference. 




We watched the session from Saturday afternoon, since that is on in the middle of the night here.  Thanks to all the smart people at lds.org, we are able to stream the session and watch it on our big TV, so it feels just like home.

Unlike our family and friends in Utah and Michigan, we had a perfect spring day to accompany our conference viewing.  The kids were able to play outside in the sunshine while we sat inside with all the windows open.

And of course, it just doesn't feel like conference without a big brunch to munch on.  Everyone brought their favorite brunchy item and we ate until we were uncomfortably full.

I had to get a photo of this beautiful bread my friend Antje brought.  Antje is from Switzerland, which is where Brad served his mission.  Ever since I've known him, Brad has raved about this Swiss bread that he grew to love on his mission.  When Antje showed up with this loaf, warm and aromatic, Brad nearly accosted her in his enthusiasm to dig in.  I thought it was too pretty to cut into without taking a picture first.

I really must say that watching conference with a crowd of friends is really the way to go.  It was absolutely delightful.  And, I would like to thank whomever arranged for the snow to fall in SLC that day.  As I watched conference in my sunny living room, surrounded by friends, listening to the kids play outside, and the smell of springtime wafting through the open windows, I was shocked to see the shot of snow falling on temple square.  It was one of the few times I have been sincerely glad to be here instead of there.

3 comments:

Denise said...

It was so much fun. Thanks for hosting us, yet again. The food was fantastic. Loves it.

Anonymous said...

Looks like you had a wonderful time.
I have missed reading your blog and glad That I have some time to catch up

Marisa said...

We used to do this when we lived in West Virginia! It was so great! And I really got JEALOUS when I read about the spring weather. We got 2 days of straight snow this weekend--8 inches in our front yard in APRIL! That is not right!