Europa Park is so named because it is divided up into European "countries". Each section is built to resemble a country in Europe, so we walked through Germany, Italy, Russia, Spain, Portugal, England, and Scandinavia. Each "country" has rides, restaurants, and shops that reflect that certain style. It was delightful!
The whole park was decorated to the hilt for Halloween, which we thought was interesting since Europeans don't really celebrate Halloween. But, who can resist spooky decorations and pumpkins in October?
This mummy fountain greeted us near the entrance. Luke informed us that the mummies were going to get baptized. Gives a whole new meaning to Baptism for the Dead, don't you think? (sorry...dodge the lightening...)
Lukie saw all the pumpkins laying around by the water and was dying to throw one in. Of course, I told him not to, in no uncertain terms. But, as soon as I took this picture and looked away, I heard a big plop. When I turned back, I saw Luke grinning from ear to ear as this pumpkin bobbed merrily in the water. Little turkey.One of the highlights of our two days in Europa Park was the King Arthur show. It took place in a Spanish arena, and we all loved it. Jessica said it was her favorite part of the trip.
It was basically the story of King Arthur and Camelot acted out with horses and jousting and sword-fighting. It was awesome!
King Arthur - our hero!
Booooo - the Bad Guy!
Of course, there was a happy ending. The poor "Lady Geneviere" being crowned here was a woman dragged out of the audience. She had quite an adventure during the show, being swept onto horses, fought over, and nearly thrown off a balcony. The Jester was the comic relief of the show. Luke kept calling him "The Baby".
The King Arthur show was truly impressive, but our family had some other, less-intentional highlights. Here are a few:
- Each of the "countries" had culturally significant music piped over loud speakers. The music in Italy was the theme from The Godfather.
- Some of the rides had names that mixed German and English. This was an unfortunate combination:
Yep, that says "Old-timer Fahrt."
"Fahrt" means "drive" in German, so this was just a little ride around in old-fashioned cars, but with a name like that, we had different expections!
- Because it's a theme park at Halloween, there was the requisite Spook Alley. When we walked through, it was pitch dark near the entrance. I was grateful to feel Brad reach over and take my hand to help me. After a minute or so of him carefully holding my hand, it was light again, so I turned to smile at him and got the scare of my life! I wasn't holding hands with Brad at all, but with some ghoul with a skull painted on his face! I seriously WAILED and yanked my hand away. I couldn't help but laugh - somewhat hysterically, I admit - throughout the rest of the Spook Alley!
- This guy:
and finally,
- Standing in the public restroom waiting for Luke, while he sat in the stall singing a heart-felt rendition of "Jar of Hearts."
Viva Europa!
































3 comments:
That looks like tons of fun! I had a good laugh at the German Fart cars! So funny! Looks like you definitely picked the right time to visit the park, I actually saw empty seats at the shows! You all look so cute, especially you and Jess bundled in your darling hats!
I laughed throughout this entire post! Every family should have a Lukie. Who do the Americans think they are thinking we have cooler stuff than anyone else?! This looks absolutely great! This and all the other amazing places you've shown us.
(The weird 'word verification' on your blog to post a comment, always seems like a German word to me. I guess I'm just in that frame of mind after reading your posts.)
Post a Comment