Pages

Friday, December 25, 2009

Weihnachten 2009

I loved talking to so many family members on Christmas day and hearing that everyone is doing so well.  Here is a glimpse of our Christmas here in Germany...

When we moved here, I made the decision to to leave all of our Christmas stuff in a box in Michigan.  I thought it would be a good excuse to replace our tired old decorations with some nice things from Europe.  Unfortunately, my family does not approve of my plan, and I've heard about it all month.  I must admit there are some things that I miss, most especially our Christmas stockings.  Because our "real" stockings aren't here, we had a paper-stocking-making party on Christmas Eve.  I think they turned out cute, but the kids were not convinced.

Here is one of the new things I've gotten in Germany.  I bought this pyramid on our trip to Rothenburg.  It is so cool, because when you light the candles, the hot air ascends and turns the blades on top so the whole thing rotates. 


Every year, my mom makes Christmas jammies for all her grandkids.  She had the foresight this year to make the jammies early and send them with us when we came in August, so we had them to open on Christmas Eve.  Brad and I were excited to see that Mom had even made jammie pants for us.  Brad's have a golfball motif, so clearly she made them special for him.

In my family growing up, we always had a monstrous breakfast on Christmas morning.  While our breakfast here in Berlin wasn't monstrous, we did have cheesy eggs and sausage.  I also bought a Stollen, which is a German sweet bread I've seen at the grocery store. For the record, Stollen is disgusting.  It is very heavy and dry, with a fruitcake-like substance running through it.  This will not be repeated next year.  (When I called my family that evening, it happened to be just as they were sitting down to Christmas breakfast back in the States.  As I talked to everyone, I could hear "pass the bacon" or "pass the french-fries" in the background.  Ahhh, the sweet sounds of Christmas...)

   I had to take this picture of Luke on Christmas day.  Even though he got some new Christmas clothes, he didn't choose to wear them when he dressed himself.  You will notice that he is wearing 2 shirts, a sweater vest (inside out), a pair of Adam's shorts, and shoes with no socks.  The best part was that when he walked, he did so with his legs really wide apart so the shorts wouldn't fall down.  I tried to get him to change, but he would have none of it.  So, he was our Little Christmas Orphan all day.

2 comments:

Meredith said...

Well, we have Stollen every year on Christmas morning (and the days before and after,) and we LOVE it! Did it have frosting on top and marzipan in the middle? Mmmm, yummy, I wish I had some right now!

Jeneil said...

I loved seeing your Christmas. How do ya like mom for having the pj's ready in August?! That 'windmill' reminded me of the one we had when we were little. We'd just have to tap it everytime we walked by and it would come crashing down. I think mom rebuilt it several times a day. Anyway, Lukie looked so cute standing there with it! The Christmas breakfast thing would like to break your heart. I'll have to remember next year to yell in the background,"Pass the stollen!" Well, glad to glimpse your day. we missed you!