This year I wasn't too sure how we were going to do Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving is a uniquely American holiday, so it isn't celebrated here in Germany. Several Americans here had warned me that it is hard to find a turkey and the traditional Thanksgiving fixin's because Germans simply don't have a need for any of it. So, I was grateful when an American couple in our ward invited us to join them for Thanksgiving.
The Sorensons have lived outside the U.S. for most of their married life. Clifford works for the Foreign Service, so they have traveled all over the world for his various assignments. They've now been in Berlin for about a year and a half, and right now Clifford is in our ward bishopric and Jerroleen is the Relief Society president. They both speak simple German, and I must say it blows me away every Sunday when Jerroleen conducts Relief Society in German, since she's only learned it since she's been here. Since I don't feel like I'll ever understand German - let alone speak it - I am very impressed with how well she does.
Because Clifford works for the American Embassy, the Sorensons can shop at the U.S. base. So, they were able to get two turkeys and everything necessary for a delicious American Thanksgiving meal. They invited all the Americans they knew for Thanksgiving dinner, and it really turned out lovely. I think there ended up being around 30 people for dinner, so it was quite a crowd.
Three large tables filled up the living/dining room.
That is Jerroleen Sorenson in the green, with my friend Susanne next to her in black. Susanna is the sister of Eva, a friend of mine back in the Clarkston Ward. It's a small world when you're a Mormon...
Smile if you love turkey!
I had to take a picture of this apple pie that I made for Thanksgiving. I hate to make pies because I always wrestle with the crust, and it turns out lumpy, or crumply, or misshapen. This is the first successful pie I have ever made, so I wanted to remember it always. It may be my last successful pie...
As we left the Sorenson's house to drive home, Jessica said from the backseat, "I feel like we're in Michigan!" It was so nice to spend a relaxing evening with friends, enjoying American food and English conversation. I think that Jessica feeling like we were in Michigan means that Germany is starting to feel almost like home.




3 comments:
We were wondering what kind of German Thanksgiving you were going to have. We are glad you had a familiar one! We are so thankful to have you as family! Thanks for letting us be a part of your "adventure" through modern technology! We love to keep tabs on you and the fam and see you grow and adapt, you are amazing!
I love the Tablecloth's over there!
I am so Happy you had such a wonderful Thanksgiving! Your Pie looks Delicious! Great Job Jill!
I feel your pain with pie crusts. Mine usually shrink. But your pie looks awesome. You almost don't want to cut into it. Almost.
Post a Comment