Pages

Monday, November 13, 2017

Ein deutscher Herzinfarkt


This week was hard for me. Maybe it's because Brad had to travel for work, or because I'm not teaching seminary and therefor don't have anything to DO (and I miss my kids), or because I'm kinda in a treatment vacation while I wait for my brain MRI in order to start immunotherapy, so I feel stalled...I don't know. But I've been in a funk.

This helped considerably:
 
This heart attack--complete with German chocolate and little monsters to scare away the cancer--arrived from my friends in Berlin. The notes are from Dahlem ward members, and I couldn't stop smiling--sometimes through tears--as I read them. Many are written in German, so I couldn't do much besides read the name until Brad got home and translated them for me, but that didn't matter. How I love these sweet people. I was the awkward American who showed up and couldn't speak their language, yet they took me in and looked after me. They invited me to parties, came to my home and apologized for their "poor English" (which was far better than my best German), coached me in German etiquette, smiled at me, translated for me, visited my son in the hospital, let me teach them to dance, visit taught me, and just plain befriended me when I was both desperate for friends yet terrified to have them. Some of my favorite comfort people live in Berlin, and I will love them forever.

Ich liebe dich, meine Freunde. Danke, dass du mir deine Herzen gibst und meine stiehlst.

No comments: