Pages

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Hohensalzburg Fortress

We spent most of one day visting the Hohensalzburg Fortress, which is the big castle on the hill over-looking the city.  We took a funicular up to the fortress, which was huge and so, so interesting.  The fortress was begun in 1077, and expanded many times under different rulers.  We learned that in all that time, the castle has never been captured.  Apparently, its location at the top of the mountain made it very secure (I guess with fortresses, as with all real estate, the first three rules are location, location, location). 





The views from the castle were unbelievable!




The castle's primary function was war and protection, so we saw a lot of war stuff.


 
Adam was flabbergasted that these are all "real" swords.  A nine-year-old's dream exhibit.

One of the rooms was dedicated to medieval tools of torture.  Seeing various iron weapons and torture devices briefly interupted my love affair with charming Salzburg. 

 
Music was also a major theme of the exhibits in the fortress.  I don't have a picture, but we saw a big pipe organ that was put into the castle to sound over the whole city.  It originally didn't have a keyboard, so it just made a big braying sound that earned it the nickname Salzburg Steer.  Over time, a keyboard was added so music could be played.  I guess some of the ruling Archbishops used it to wake up the town when it was time for work, and to signal when the work day was over.  So, the hills really were alive with the sound of music...

 
Here are the state rooms where some of the Archbishops stayed at the Fortress.  Fancy, eh?



This dreadful little privy was right in the middle of one of the fancy state rooms.  So, as extravagant as they looked, I can only imagine how they smelled!



 
Lunch atop the Fortress.
 



There was an exhibit showcasing marionettes on the Fortress.  Adam told me this was his favorite part of the whole trip.




Gathered around a well before we left the Fortress.

2 comments:

MarieC said...

Wow, what an awesome "consolation" trip!!

Rebecca Nalder said...

I can't even begin to express how jealous I am. It looks so incredible. Although I'm fairly confident that I would have been unable to resist do-me-me-me-so-so-re-fa-fa-la-ti-ti-ing my whole way around town. Inappropriate Americans!